FAQ: How do I …?

How can I Help Keep El Sobrante Clean and Beautiful?

What should I do if I see an illegal dump on the streets?

Report! Report! Report! The sooner you report an illegal dump, the sooner it will be removed. The two best ways to do it: Call 1-800-NO-DUMPING (1-800-663-8674) or use the Mobile Citizen phone app. Here are some options:

  • CALL 1-800-NO-DUMPING (1-800-663-8674), a one-stop phone number to report illegal dumps.
  • Get the Mobile Citizen App on your smart phone to report illegal dumps, potholes, graffiti, leaking fire hydrants, etc. The app accepts photos – use your settings to show GPS site location.
  • El Sobrante/ Unincorporated Contra Costa County: Call 925-313-7000 or email location info and photos to [email protected]
  • Richmond Illegal Dumping Hotline 510-965-4905
  • San Pablo: Call 510-215-3070 or email Melissa Garibay [email protected] for dump vouchers or Amanda Booth [email protected] for all other issues. 
  • CalTrans: Use CalTrans Customer Service online reporting form 

What should I do if I see litter?

Pick up litter on the streets near your home to discourage pests and other dumpers, bag it up and stick it into a brown trash bin (blue if recyclable). Use gloves and a grabber tool to be safe. Download and join the Next Door App’s El Sobrante Neighborhood Cleanup to connect with our group-cleanups and see our website, KeepElSobranteBeautiful.info, for more litter cleanup events.

How do I get rid of my own bulky items – couch, mattress, furniture, large-appliances (no Freon) that nobody wants?

Each year, every single-family home gets, as part of their trash pickup, one bulky item pick up and 2 bagged extra-large pick-ups (up to 15 bags of household items or yard waste) of trash. Call Republic Services, 510-262-7100, to schedule.

What kinds of things are recyclable in our residential blue bins?

Check the Republic Services online guide as it is subject to periodic change: republicservices.com/cms/documents/RecyclingGuide1pager.pdf.

Where is our closest recycling center and what do they take?

El Cerrito Recycling Center ECRC, 7501 Schmidt Lane, El Cerrito, accepts paper, cardboard, glass, electronic waste, scrap metal, fluorescent lights, etc. See el-cerrito.org/952/Drop-Off-Materials-Accepted

Where are our closest city dump / landfill drop-off sites?

Golden Bear Transfer, 1 Parr Boulevard, Richmond; or
Berkeley Transfer, 1201 Second St., Berkeley.                     

What do I do with old mattresses?

With proof of West Contra Costa County residency, anyone can drop off for FREE up to 3 mattresses or box springs per month at Bye-Bye Mattress, 101 Pittsburgh Ave, Richmond, Wed.-Sat., 9 AM-4 PM. 510-231-4200

What should I do with electronic waste?

El Cerrito Recycling Center accepts e-waste. Computer and Technology Resource, 620 Page Street, Berkeley, also accepts e-waste through the CalRecycle program. (415) 883-1428. Hours: M-F, 9-5, Sat., 10-5.

What can I do with my lightly worn, good-quality clothing and shoes?

Goodwill, Salvation Army, Recycle for Change and other thrift shops all accept clothes and shoes in good condition. If items are too worn, just toss them into your brown trash bin.

What should I do with books?

El Cerrito Recycling Center: Place in blue Discover Books containers. Others, donate to a thrift store charity.

What can I do with old/used tires?

Most tire shops will recycle them for you at low ($3 or more) or no cost.

How do I report abandoned or wrecked cars?

Call the Contra Costa County Sheriff’s Dept. (925) 646-2441.

What should I do with hazardous waste?

Drop off hazardous waste, FREE with proof of residency, at the West Contra Costa County Collection Facility, 101 Pittsburg Ave., Richmond, Wed.-Sat., 9 AM-4 PM. (closed for lunch 12-12:30), or take to El Cerrito Recycling Center, Tuesdays only, 9 AM-4 PM. For FREE hazardous waste disposal in Central County, visit the Central Contra Costa Sanitation website.

If I need to use a hauler to move trash, how can I make sure they are disposing of my items properly?

Republic Services is the only permitted hauler in West Contra County. Extra pick-ups and pre-paid bag ties are available by calling customer service at 510- 272-7100, with a week or two lead time. You may also self-haul items to Golden Bear or Berkeley Transfer Stations (addresses above; check web sites for rates). Do not hire freelance trash haulers as they are operating illegally and are responsible for many of the illegal dumps you see.

What if I want to volunteer some extra time to help cleanup litter and blight?

Meet up with the El Sobrante Green Team for the Third Saturday area cleanup, come to a quarterly cleanup event, You can also join a CalTrans Adopt-a-road project, connect with Spawners. See our calendar on the right column of the webpage to see what’s coming up in El Sobrante and join in!

One thought on “FAQ: How do I …?

  • Reading your website, I see that you have the Sheriff’s number to report abandoned cars. Do you know if someone reported that beat up car in front of the TLC School, formerly La Cheim School? It’s getting beaten up more often. Soon it will be more junky.

Comments are closed.